Parentage for Adjudication or Acknowledgment of Paternity

A parentage lawsuit is an original petition to establish the child’s legal relationship with a biological parent and to establish a court order including but not limited to custody, visitation, medical and child support for the child. Please be advised in certain circumstances, the court may allow the biological mother to be reimbursed for pre-natal and postnatal expenses related to the child’s birth.

  • The statute provides the following people to file a parentage case:
  • 1. The child;
  • 2. The mother of the child;
  • 3. The man whose paternity of the child is to be adjudicated;
  • 4. A relative of the child’s mother, within the 2nd degree of consanguinity, if the mother is deceased;
  • 5. Any government agency, including the support enforcement agency, authorized by law;
  • 6. An authorized adoption agency or licensed child-placing agency;
  • 7. A representative authorized by law to act for an individual who would otherwise be entitled to maintain a proceeding but who is deceased, is incapacitated, or is a minor; or
  • 8. A person who is an intended parent.

Contact Us Today

You have successfully read this important alert message.
Change a few things up and try submitting again.
Write Your answer: 4 + 8 =

Professional Representation is a Click Away

We are a full-service Family Law Firm located in Downtown Houston, serving clients throughout Harris and surrounding Counties, who require assistance with partner separation and divorce, marriage annulments, child adoption, child custody, child support, court order enforcement’s and modifications, child visitation, grandparent visitation, name change petitions, equitable division of property, spousal maintenance, protective orders, guardianship arrangements, mediation, will and probate services.
Let our firm help you through this emotionally-charged time to ensure you or your loved one receives the compensation and protection rightfully due under the law.
If you or a loved one needs professional representation, please contact us at (888) 503-3395 or complete our request for free case evaluation form. An attorney with Shirley Mitchell Law, P.C. will contact you within 48 hours—we can help make your family whole again.

Other Ways to Follow and Share


Once you become a client of the firm, information regarding your claim may be transmitted electronically in compliance with HIPAA and Texas House Bill 300. The attorney responsible for the content of this site is Shirley A. Mitchell. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Information is used only to evaluate potential legal representation and not sold or disclosed otherwise.
© 2006 Shirley A. Mitchell P.C. Attorney At Law, All Rights Reserved