Grandparent Visitation Rights

Under certain circumstances, Texas law does allow a grandparent to file a petition for visitation rights with a grandchild.

First, you must be able to demonstrate that denial of access to your grandchild will significantly impair your grandchild’s physical health or safety and emotional well being; AND that the child’s parent isn’t acting in your grandchild’s best interest. The Texas Family Code stipulates that for a Judge to grant a grandparent’s request for visitation with a grandchild, the grandparent seeking visitation must be a biological or adopted grandparent. Step grandparents may not be granted visitation. Also, at least one of the child’s parents (biological or adopted) must continue to have parental rights to the child and have not had parental rights terminated.

In addition, a grandparent must overcome the presumption that the parent is acting in the best interest of the child and that denial of visitation with the grandchild would significantly impair the grandchild’s physical health and emotional well-being.

Lastly, a grandparent must show that he or she is a parent of a the parent of the grandchild and that the parent of the grandchild:

(1) Has been incarcerated during the three month period prior to your filing the suit;
(2) Has been found by a court to be incompetent,
(3) Your child has died; or
(4) Your child does not have actual or court-ordered possession or access to your grandchild.

The grandparent seeking relief from the Court will be required to file a sworn affidavit with facts supporting their beliefs or allegations.

Contact Us Today

You have successfully read this important alert message.
Change a few things up and try submitting again.
Write Your answer: 1 + 7 =

Professional Representation is a Click Away

We are a full-service Family Law Firm located in Downtown Houston, serving clients throughout Harris and surrounding Counties, who require assistance with partner separation and divorce, marriage annulments, child adoption, child custody, child support, court order enforcement’s and modifications, child visitation, grandparent visitation, name change petitions, equitable division of property, spousal maintenance, protective orders, guardianship arrangements, mediation, will and probate services.
Let our firm help you through this emotionally-charged time to ensure you or your loved one receives the compensation and protection rightfully due under the law.
If you or a loved one needs professional representation, please contact us at (888) 503-3395 or complete our request for free case evaluation form. An attorney with Shirley Mitchell Law, P.C. will contact you within 48 hours—we can help make your family whole again.

Other Ways to Follow and Share


Once you become a client of the firm, information regarding your claim may be transmitted electronically in compliance with HIPAA and Texas House Bill 300. The attorney responsible for the content of this site is Shirley A. Mitchell. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Information is used only to evaluate potential legal representation and not sold or disclosed otherwise.
© 2006 Shirley A. Mitchell P.C. Attorney At Law, All Rights Reserved