Child Support, Visitation, Spousal Maintenance and Property Division Enforcement

An enforcement is a proceeding filed against an individual that is not in compliance with a court order. An orders can be enforced by requesting that a Court hold the violator in contempt of court. A person found to have violated the court order may be fined and/or placed in jail for violating the order. Please note, that not all terms of a court orders are enforceable by contempt. Usually, most people seek an enforcement of child support, visitation, spousal maintenance and property divisions.

A party seeking an enforcement must file a motion with the court then the matter must be set for a hearing by the Court. The law requires that the person accused of violating the court order be personally served with the motion for enforcement. The motion for enforcement will include an ordered to appear requiring the violator to come to court at a specified date and time. A person can be served with the motion for enforcement by a constable or authorized private process server. The person seeking the enforcement can’t serve the papers, nor can the paperwork be mailed or left at the person’s residence. The statute requires that the violator have at least ten days notice of the hearing and the alleged violations. If the person accused of the violations does not appear in Court as designated by the paperwork then the Court can issue a warrant for the violator’s arrest and can also grant a default judgment for the past due child support. Please note that a person must be present in court to be held in contempt of an order.

Contact Us Today

You have successfully read this important alert message.
Change a few things up and try submitting again.
Write Your answer: 8 + 8 =

Professional Representation is a Click Away

We are a full-service Family Law Firm located in Downtown Houston, serving clients throughout Harris and surrounding Counties, who require assistance with partner separation and divorce, marriage annulments, child adoption, child custody, child support, court order enforcement’s and modifications, child visitation, grandparent visitation, name change petitions, equitable division of property, spousal maintenance, protective orders, guardianship arrangements, mediation, will and probate services.
Let our firm help you through this emotionally-charged time to ensure you or your loved one receives the compensation and protection rightfully due under the law.
If you or a loved one needs professional representation, please contact us at (888) 503-3395 or complete our request for free case evaluation form. An attorney with Shirley Mitchell Law, P.C. will contact you within 48 hours—we can help make your family whole again.

Other Ways to Follow and Share


Once you become a client of the firm, information regarding your claim may be transmitted electronically in compliance with HIPAA and Texas House Bill 300. The attorney responsible for the content of this site is Shirley A. Mitchell. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Information is used only to evaluate potential legal representation and not sold or disclosed otherwise.
© 2006 Shirley A. Mitchell P.C. Attorney At Law, All Rights Reserved