Name Change Petition Process

If you are seeking a divorce you may request a name change in your petition without having to pay an additional fee. If you are seeking a name change separate and apart from a divorce proceeding then you must file a petition with the Court and pay all required fees.

  • When an adult is requesting a name change they must be able to submit the following information to the Court before their petition can be granted:
  • 1. The petitioner’s name and current address;
  • 2. The full name you are requesting;
  • 3. The reason for the name change;
  • 4. Whether you have been convicted of a felony;
  • 5. Whether you are required to be registered as a sex offender;
  • 6. A complete set of your fingerprints on a fingerprint card approved by the Texas Department of Public Safety and the FBI; and
  • 7. A state and FBI background check completed in connection with the fingerprint card submitted to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  • 8. The petition for name change must be sworn to before a notary public

Contact Us Today

You have successfully read this important alert message.
Change a few things up and try submitting again.
Write Your answer: 3 + 3 =

Professional Representation is a Click Away

We are a full-service Family Law Firm located in Downtown Houston, serving clients throughout Harris and surrounding Counties, who require assistance with partner separation and divorce, marriage annulments, child adoption, child custody, child support, court order enforcement’s and modifications, child visitation, grandparent visitation, name change petitions, equitable division of property, spousal maintenance, protective orders, guardianship arrangements, mediation, will and probate services.
Let our firm help you through this emotionally-charged time to ensure you or your loved one receives the compensation and protection rightfully due under the law.
If you or a loved one needs professional representation, please contact us at (888) 503-3395 or complete our request for free case evaluation form. An attorney with Shirley Mitchell Law, P.C. will contact you within 48 hours—we can help make your family whole again.

Other Ways to Follow and Share


Once you become a client of the firm, information regarding your claim may be transmitted electronically in compliance with HIPAA and Texas House Bill 300. The attorney responsible for the content of this site is Shirley A. Mitchell. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Information is used only to evaluate potential legal representation and not sold or disclosed otherwise.
© 2006 Shirley A. Mitchell P.C. Attorney At Law, All Rights Reserved