Name Change Petition Process

If you are seeking a divorce you may request a name change in your petition without having to pay an additional fee. If you are seeking a name change separate and apart from a divorce proceeding then you must file a petition with the Court and pay all required fees.

  • When an adult is requesting a name change they must be able to submit the following information to the Court before their petition can be granted:
  • 1. The petitioner’s name and current address;
  • 2. The full name you are requesting;
  • 3. The reason for the name change;
  • 4. Whether you have been convicted of a felony;
  • 5. Whether you are required to be registered as a sex offender;
  • 6. A complete set of your fingerprints on a fingerprint card approved by the Texas Department of Public Safety and the FBI; and
  • 7. A state and FBI background check completed in connection with the fingerprint card submitted to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  • 8. The petition for name change must be sworn to before a notary public
© 2006 Shirley A. Mitchell P.C. Attorney At Law, All Rights Reserved