If you are seeking a divorce you may request a name change in your petition without having to pay an additional fee. If you are seeking a name change separate and apart from a divorce proceeding then you must file a petition with the Court and pay all required fees.
- When an adult is requesting a name change they must be able to submit the following information to the Court before their petition can be granted:
- 1. The petitioner’s name and current address;
- 2. The full name you are requesting;
- 3. The reason for the name change;
- 4. Whether you have been convicted of a felony;
- 5. Whether you are required to be registered as a sex offender;
- 6. A complete set of your fingerprints on a fingerprint card approved by the Texas Department of Public Safety and the FBI; and
- 7. A state and FBI background check completed in connection with the fingerprint card submitted to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
- 8. The petition for name change must be sworn to before a notary public